Sunday, May 3, 2009

Recovery Week

It has been a nice laid back "recovery week". I took Monday off of all exercise after the miserable OKC 1/2...see previous post. It was nice to head out with the group on Tuesday. I just did a low key 1.5 mile walk. There was all the buzz in the air though about everyone's perspectives and adventures in the OKC events. I think it is true that misery loves company. You feel so much better about your horrible race when you hear that someone else also had a horrible race. I do have to share my highlight from Monday evening though, that gave me the first step to acceptance of my not-so-hot OKC event. I went to my Weight Watcher meeting, and they were talking about the "Truths and Myths about Carbs" well one of the topics the leader brought up was that carb intake can be different for people who are...get this...extreme adventure exercise enthusiasts...like those that run or bike far distances. Her words, I swear. Here's the odd part for me as an individual...Everyone in the room kinda chuckled. The leader then asked if anyone in the room was an "extreme adventure exercise enthusiast" of course I raised my hand. The crowd got silent..she asked what I did, I told her that I just ran the 1/2 marathon the day before, then the silent crowd turned into a murmured crowd everyone was talking with their buddy about my "AMAZING" accomplishment. I walked out with a new perspective on my running. I am so used to hanging out with very cool people who also enjoy running, and run amazing distances (marathons and ultras) and you lose sight of what the average joe thinks of running. So although I have not been doing well writing down what I am putting in my mouth, I am feeling very excited about starting my training for my first marathon.

I attempted to run Thursday. It was so nice to run with Stacy. We did some more rehashing of the whole OKC thing. My legs felt tired and weak, but it felt good to be back out there running. I decided to forego the Hope Rains 5K, due to the amount of mud I expected would be on the course. So I met with the couch to 5K group at Helmrich at 7. I headed out and did 4 miles in the rain. I actually really enjoyed running in the rain (coulda done without the lightning) but I found it cleansing and therapeutic.

I decided to try to go out today, Sunday, and do another 4 miles to try to get myself into a rhthym. I got 3 done, but then decided to walk the last 1.4. I really need some help and guidance about when to try to push myself to do more and when to let myself rest because the body says so. I won't be able to meet up with the group Tuesday evening because I'm giving a final, which makes me sad. But at the same time, I am so excited to really focus and work on my running this summer. I have no obligations at TU or KU, other than to finish my dissertation and get the Ph.D. thing done, so I really hope to run daily, even if it's just a mile or two...So again I'll take any advice about building up my endurance that anyone wants to give...

3 comments:

coco bean a.k.a. lisa said...

That is so awesome that you were able to share with your WW group about your race in OKC!! I bet they thought you were awesome and rightfully so! We do get so use to being around such studs that do the same thing we do and we don't brag on ourselves or our accomplishments enough. Most people have never done and will never do what you have done. Always remember that especially when you are having a bad running or race day.

With that in mind, it is easy to get down when you cannot run. This is what we are addicted to doing. It makes us feel good and we want to get even better at it. However there is to much of a good thing. You don't want an overuse injury and your body can use a break. (dont ever look at TZ as an example. he never takes a break and never gets an injury. he must really be a zombie and feel no pain.) Again, try not to get down on the days you cannot get away even for that short run. Think of it as a chance for your body to rest to be stronger so you can do even better the next day!

Bobby said...

Ah, I hear the Zombie is in pain. He just doesn't talk about it much cause he is Zombie King. We should all take it easy through the month of May. Do some easy 3-5 mile runs and some cross training. Get your legs ready for another "FREE" exciting RunnersWorld training session which starts in June. I for one can't wait to meet more new people and make new friendships.

Susan Michaels said...

Ha! Bobby doesn't know how to run an easy 3 - 5 miles. He says he is going to run easy but then afterwards he complains about his legs hurt because of running too fast.
Sandra, you are an awesome runner and never forget that. I live out my dream of running good someday through watching you. I know I will never be that good because we all know why but watching everyone else achieve all their running goals keeps me motivated just to get out there and run when I am able to and enjoy every minute of it no matter how slow I have to go.
I am fortunate to have great friends that appreciate each others accomplishments and to know what that means to us.