Monday, April 13, 2009

A Great Run...

That's right. I am blogging about a really great run for me. Tonight I completed my first sub 48 (47:57) 4-mile run. For me, that is quite speedy. I felt so great running tonight. I don't really know why. I was completely in my "happy place." During the first mile I was preoccupied with the fact I had to pee, and completed it in 11:47. Then I was just on a roll I guess. It was a sparse group tonight, but if they weren't there (Bobby, Rachel, Michael, and Ken) I probably wouldn't be consistent in getting in a Monday run.

You will have to excuse me for just a moment while I go on a tangent here. The run started out with comments about taking a break after OKC. I totally get where everyone is coming from. However, when I was training in Lawrence with an all women's running group...paying money to be coached...getting ready for the Kansas City 1/2 in Oct 2007...I would make comments about looking forward to taking a break. All I could think of tonight is the comment my coach sent me in an email..."you seem to have a negative attitude toward running, and should probably take a break". This reflection was in my head during most of the run tonight. How can a coach tell someone on their "team" they have a bad attitude...and should take a break? Then...I began to reflect on my last month of running or so...and I've been in a big time slump. I was doing well, at least I think anyway, then my hip popped out of alignment and taking 2 weeks off of running, well....just messed with me mentally. Then when I was cleared to start running again, it was somewhat tortoruous. However, thanks to the group from Runners World....which by the way is FREE coaching...I kept heading out. Everytime I would run, I would run with someone, or at least by someone different. My hip is still not 100% strong, it bothers me from time to time, but I remember why I run. To have fun...and destress...and meet people...and better my overall health. I don't run to "win" nor do I run to please others. I think Trail Zombie said it best...when running isn't fun anymore, don't do it. But don't quit doing something you enjoy because others don't believe in you, or you have a bad day and have to vent to someone.

Okay, enough of that soap box...

I can't believe the Lawrence 1/2 marathon is THIS Sunday. What on earth was I thinking? Oh yeah...I want to take it off my "to do" list. I am looking forward to spending some quality time with my dear friends in Lawrence Friday evening and Saturday. I hope that Sunday, I remember to take in the great sights of Lawrence, it really is a beautiful (and hilly) city. I was asked what my "goal" is for Lawrence, and I joked (yet seriously) stated that it's to finish. I do hope to beat my KC 1/2 time of 2:56, so we'll see. I thank TATUR Dave for giving us hills to train on, I am hoping it pays off for me on Sunday.

2 comments:

Ethiopian Elites said...

I lift up my eyes to the HILLS-
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip-
he who watches over you will not slumber; (Psalm 121:1-3)

Hope you have a great time in Lawrence! Rock Chalk Jayhawk! (That took some effort, coming from a Wildcat.) Be sure to take it easy on running and any other workouts the rest of the week. I'm sure you will do well and exceed your expectations.

Oh, and some of my fastest runs have been when I had to pee (or something worse).

Susan Michaels said...

I think you are doing awesome! When I grow up I want to be able to run like you LOL. I believe that you can do anything you set your mind to doing. Good luck at this weekends race I know you will do good. I too don't do this to win any races or impress anyone but myself.