Sunday, April 5, 2009

Lake McMurtry and week

Well this has definitely been one of the busiest weeks for me all year. On top of that, I was able to complete 18 miles between Saturday and Tuesday. After the Snake Run, I was all geared up and gung-ho for the Lake McMurtry Trail Run. As the week went along, I began to doubt if I should do the Lake McMurtry run or not. After the training run on Thursday, my spirits were lifted and I figured what the heck. Bobby and Susan were nice enough to meet up with me at McDonald's at 5:30 Saturday morning to head towards Stillwater and the 12K (7.5 miles). About 45 minutes into the drive I finally felt awake and was enjoying the sunrise. Once we made it to the race start we all gathered up our gear.

Once we had all of our "stuff" on (race number, jackets, gloves, water bottles, etc.) we meandered around the start area. Ken and Lisa were busy registering people and passing out race numbers and shirts to everyone who had previously registered. I wandered around and took in some sights.

It was a little chilly and windy, but quite tolearable. The sunrise was pretty and it was fun to see everyone so laid back and excited about their upcoming events.

Race Director Ken (Trail Zombie) Childress attempted to give each group instructions as to where their route went, how long it would be until an aid station would be in sight. At this point for the 12K, I had some serious stomach cramps and felt extremely anxious about the whole situation. I don't know what brought this on, but I felt just horrible.

My first couple of miles were not too bad, but then I hit the wall with a loud "THUD." I have no idea what happened. I had absolutely no mental toughness or physical toughness. I think I ran at least a tenth of every mile, but it was ugly and really no so fun for me.

On the way back, I decided to take a few pictures of the "little" climbs that were along the way. Overall the trail was fun. I just don't think I was in the right mental place to do this run. I really overextended myself this week, and this run for me was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I feel bad for being a little negative about the whole thing....it was the run at all just everything that led up to it.

My next "adventure" will be the Lawrence 1/2 marathon two weeks from today. I don't really think I am ready for it at all. Anyone from Runners World want to go and keep me company? Lawrence has such an elite running community, I am feeling a little nervous about the whole thing. I am trying to keep the whole idea of going just cuz it will be fun and I will no longer regret not doing it....

3 comments:

Susan Michaels said...

I think your doing awesome! I am so glad you did decide to run Lake McMurtry with us. Hopefully this week will be better and you can get back into your awesome running mode. I know you will do great at Lawrence and OKC.

coco bean a.k.a. lisa said...

Dont be so hard on yourself. You did great this weekend. We all have that race that we just did not own. There will be plenty more! I wish I could go to Lawrence. I have to work that weekend :( i never work weekends but we are behind so are seeing patients on saturdays :( Keep up the running!

Bobby said...

Sandra, you were ahead of me and you looked great when we passed.
To me trail running isn't about speed it is about being out in nature and enjoying life.