Saturday, March 14, 2009

A new 5K PR and Boca Graduates!

What a fun weekend! and it's only Saturday morning. On Wednesday, Boca took his Beginner Obedience Test. We (Boca and I) were both quite nervous about the sit/stay and down/stay. We have practiced and practiced and practiced. But, if you know anything about me, I don't just sit/stay very well myself, and well down/stay I reserve for sleeping. My dog has taken after my philosophy. But we practiced and practiced and practiced, and well Boca decided that test day would be a good time to do his first 3 minute down/stay at school. Boca wound up receiving the highest score for his class, therefore earning "Top Dog" honors. What does that mean? Well it meant we had to compete against all of the other top dogs from the other beginner obedience classes at graduation Friday night. Not having any idea, how the whole dog graduation thing worked, I did not do well at getting Boca ready for his competition. However, if there was an award for 'playing the crowd' I think Boca would have won that hands down. He smiled and when he had to do his sits he always turned so he was facing the audience. It was rather cute. I was a little embarrassed that I hadn't prepared Boca better, but I think he had a great time and it was so awesome to even be in the position to compete again. Turns out he did get some loot for winning the title of "Top Dog" from his class. He was stoked about that...as you can see in the picture below.

Once the "Top Dog' competition was done, the dogs go to wear motor boards (much to their dismay) and get recognized one at a time. The whole dog graduation was quite cute and was a great opportunity for Boca to be around many other dogs and people.

On to running.....

I decided to enter the St. Pat's 5K run, since the doc wants me to give it one more week before I attempt more than 3-4 miles. I decided it would be a good opportunity to see if I could get a new PR for the 5K. This morning's weather, although a little chilly, was almost a perfect temp for a run, start a little cool and then not get too hot as you went along. The best part of today's run was at first having a group of Marines running and chanting behind me...they eventually caught up with me (I ran with them til the turnaround)...then of course going downhill on the way back they smoked me. It was so great to just listen and try to process what they were chanting...what a great distraction. I wound up finishing the 5K with a clock time of 37:04, and a Garmin time of 36:49. I am so pumped!! I can still remember when I just hoped to do a sub-40 and someday I may do a sub-36. My average pace/mile today was 11:47. This is awesome....first time I have ran 3 consecutive since my hip injury...and to run a sub-12 average...wow!!! Thanks Marines!!! I really needed the good run today to help boost back up my running confidence. I am so looking forward to the 6-hour snake run next week. Will be my first event on trails rather than road....am hoping just to have fun!!

3 comments:

Susan Michaels said...

Congrats! You are doing awesome. I will never make it to that speed.

coco bean a.k.a. lisa said...

yay for Boca and for you. Congrats on his graduation and on your PR! See you soon!

simulatedme said...

He's like us, does it for the schwag!