Monday, March 30, 2009


If this is what is planned for weather, I don't recommend going out and running in the rain before it turns to snow. I learned this lesson the hard way on Saturday, March 28th. All week the meterologists were talking 1-3" of snow expected Friday night into Saturday night. I went to bed Friday night with my mind made up that I was not going to go run if there was even a single flake of snow on the ground. Boca woke me up at 5:30, so I reluctantly took him out all ready to see 1-3 inches of snow. Not a flake...at that time not even a drop of rain! So I changed my plan and decided I would meet up with the group at 7. As I drove to Veteran's park, the lovely drizzle turned to a pretty good down pour. I sat in my car looking around...thinking that I could easily pack it in and go back home. Nope, nope, nope......I got up...I'm dressed...I am going to do this...what's a little rain. Off we went to do a 5 mile loop (I was supposed to do 2). About 2 miles in, the wind picked up and I think I gained 10 pounds in just rain soaking into my clothes and shoes. Thanks to my friend Susan hanging with me, I did complete 1, 5-mile loop, but it is honestly the worst conditions I have ever attempt to run in. Then while trying to warm up...we did indeed get the snow during the day. A total of around 9" of snow fell...just crazy.

Some of the Runners World crew got together on Sunday to try the 5-mile loops again. It was a beautiful day and by 1PM a majority of the 9" of snow had already melted. I completed only 1 loop because I had a very good friend visiting from California and was meeting her for an early dinner. I really appreciated Bobby runnign the 5-mile loop with me. It made it go by so much more quickly than it would have if I was on my own. Thanks Bobby!!!

I meet up with Bobby's Bunch tonight, not really sure how it was going to go after doing 5 miles in the ick rain on Saturday, and then 5 miles again on Sunday, and was able to do 3 miles tonight. Put all that together and I did a 1/2 marathon in 3 days..hope it goes quicker than that on April 19 :).

I think I was meant to run in the horrid weather on Saturday so that I can better appreciate the nice days to run.

No comments: