Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Not the Bad Apple

So far, so good this year. I am really having to work on my patience for those who are trying to be "bad apples". They saying that one bad apple spoils the bunch is so true. Isn't it amazing how much easier it is to complain rather than find the positive. I had my first personal training session of the year today. Truthfully I was very nervous and apprehensive about it, but...I went into it with the "don't be the bad apple" mentality. Do what he says, don't complain about it..it's okay to say it's hard but then follow that up with why I am there....and it turned out okay. My major physical accomplishment today was i did 20 push-ups in a row, twice without taking a breather in between each set of 5 push-ups (girl push-ups mind you, but still). When I had my first session i could barely do 5 push-ups in a set without feeling like death, so quite the feeling of success for me.

Last Saturday I had the most stellar 3 miles of my life I think. I completed it in 35:33. I seriously cannot believe I did it in that time. I have no idea how that happened. Of course I followed it up with a really really bad run (over 45 min for 3.10 miles) on Tuesday. I tried to leave the group Tuesday still feeling positive and upbeat. I had a great first mile, but then I started smelling people's perfume/cologne/deodorant and knew that a migraine was trying to take over, so I would up walking most of the rest of the run after the 1.25 mile point. I made it back and got some excedrin in my system before the full out headache kicked in phew...

My big dilemma now is what to do on Tuesday nights. I have to teach a class on Tuesdays from 5:00-7:30. I have scheduled the class for every other week, so it's only going to impact 6 weeks so I guess it's not a huge deal. I talked to Trainer Andrew today and think on those weeks I will try to add a 2nd personal training day, but I think the only day I could add the training day is Friday and don't know how that will impact the long runs on Saturday...ahhh the decisions.

I was hoping to upload some pictures, but for some reason I am not being allowed so I will save them for another post...

4 comments:

Susan Michaels said...

I enjoy your positiveness. I too like to be around positive people.
Maybe on those Tuesdays you can do the track earlier in the day if you can even though you will be missed but sometimes things do interfer with running so you just have to do what you have to do with a smile and positive thinking.
Don't feel bad about your slow time you did on Tuesday night because for me that is a good run time. You are doing awesome and we all have bad days. You are a great inspiration and friend to me.
Thanks for offering to take me to the dentist today and then checking on me.

Bobby said...

Sorry if my Christmas cologne stunk and cuased your headache.
Blame Susan. LOL.

Sounds to me like your running is coming along just fine. Keep it up.

Ethiopian Elites said...

Bobby, I've smelled you, and I don't think it's your cologne. LOL! :)

Keep it up Sandra! It sounds like you are progressing well. Sorry about your headache.

BOCA said...

HAHA Bobby as long as it's not floral it doesn't usually bother me too much!!!