Monday, January 26, 2009

Worthy of a Blog Entry

So, I know I just blogged on Saturday, but today's run deserves its own entry. I woke up this morning feeling like I could sleep all day...even my dog was in that mindset which is rare. I have to admit I have a great job in that I have a lot of flexibility about what times I have to be in the office. Well after taking the dog for a walk around the block, and some encouragement from my mom, I decided it would be better to run this morning than worry about the weather all day. So I put on my running gear, only 1 layer of pants, a long sleeve tech shirt and my new Brooks pull-over (which kept me much warmer than I expected), laced up the shoes (the right way of course) and headed to 21st and Riverside. I decided that if I was going to head out and run I would go ahead and do the 4 miles today for fear that tomorrow it will be too slick, and if it's not I will do the 3. So around the Zink lake loop I went. As I started out North with the wind blowing in my face, I had some doubts of my own sanity, but then rationalized that it was tons better than it was on Saturday so what am I whining for. I crossed the 11th street bridge and was feeling in quite the groove. My legs were feeling good, I was breathing fairly easy for me, good tunes on the ipod playing, and just over all positive thoughts swirling in the brain. Before I knew it I was at the amphitheater...I couldn't believe it...it actually felt like an "easy" two miles. OH...I should mention that I found all of the water fountains frozen, so did wish that I had carried a bottle of water...I was so excited to run across the Pedestrian Bridge, I have no idea why this excited me but it did. Then before I knew it I was there...3.1 miles down and I was feeling like I could keep going without a problem. Usually at the 3 mile marker I am either 1) Done with the run for the day or 2) playing mental tricks with myself to get to the point of being done with the run. Today, however, I was just happy that the run wasn't done and I got to keep going. Isn't that just crazy!!! I do think my Garmin doesn't work quite right going across the Pedestrian Bridge, but...OH...another side note...my fastest mile of the whole run was from mile 2 to 3 with a pace of 12:01. Can you believe that??? I got across the Pedestrian Bridge and north I went, into the wind again. It didn't really bother me at this point..my Garmin chimed at 4 miles and I had completed it in 49:29...I was very excited to hit it under 50 again. I wound up doing a total of 4.5 miles today and felt like I could have done 5 maybe even 6, which really helped my confidence.

Now, of course, I am so grateful I went out this morning. If we do get the super icky weather they are talking about maybe happening...I can hang at home with the dog and drink hot cocoa and still have a sense of accomplishment for the day!

4 comments:

Susan Michaels said...

Look at you! You are awesome!

Bobby said...

I wish i'd gotten out of bed and done that. I hope we can make it out tomorrow evening.

Ethiopian Elites said...

Woohoo!

You made a good decision to run this morning. I ran at noon, and finished coated with ice. The last half mile I really had to be careful because the roads were so slick. I hope nobody is foolish enough to try to run this evening.

simulatedme said...

Gotta love the good runs!