Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Fate in Play?

Brrr. I don't do winter very well. Actually I can handle the cold weather okay, but really thrive on sunshine. I am plagued by the whole seasonal affect disorder thing. I am so thankful to be in such a positive place with running. It gets me outside and allows me to absorb some of that Vitamin D.

I was one of 4 people in the office today and was watching out the window, being rather unproductive, wondering what I should do to get in my 3 mile run today. I left the office around 1 this afternoon with my mind thinking I would take my ID and hit the indoor track in the fitness center. I wasn't very excited about my run because it takes 8 laps of the track to get in 1 mile, and I have boredom issues. Well on my drive home the roads really seemed to be okay, so I started thinking that I would suck it up and join the Runners World crew at 5:30 on Riverside. Well, I didn't feel very confident inside with that decision either. Then, low and behold an email from Coach Kathy talking about how to be safe when running on ice and sometimes it's okay to take caution and head indoors. So I took that as a sign that I should head indoors to the track...so with that in mind I took the dog out and he was ready for a walk, so off we went. The roads appeared to have minimal to no ice. So after a quick stroll around the block with the dog, I decided to run outside here. So I hopped on mapmyrun.com and found a mile loop I could do around the neighborhood 3 times and off I went.

I really missed the company while running together, but felt so empowered out there today. I actually had someone stop at the stop sign and rolled down her window and congratulate me on being out. Wasn't that nice? The kicker of today's run is I think it's the fastest 3.13 miles I have done since I've been back running (38:16). The other crazy part about today is at about 4 PM my body "shut down". A good case of a headache, stomachache and just achy in general...which makes me so grateful that I did my run earlier today. So I have taken some Dayquil to lick whatever bug i might be trying to get before it can take control...

I hope to see everyone at the Marvellite Run on Thursday. I think it will be a neat outing.

3 comments:

Cassy Russell said...

Thanks for posting mapmyrun. I was just wondering tonight about where I could find such a site. It turned out to be a great night for a run. We missed you but hope you are feeling better.

T Z said...

Map My Run is an awesome site. I use it to map out some crazy dream runs that I'll probably never have time to do.

Hope you get to feeling better. The Marvelite run is a great event. Not often you have the opportunity to drink a beer in a church!

meg said...

Hope you're feeling better!!!