Saturday, December 13, 2008

Finally a Sub-40:00 5K!!!

Today was a great day! Yeah it was windy, but at least it was warm and windy and not below freezing. It was day 1 of half-marathon/marathon training. I appreciate the beginner marathon training schedule that was put on my car windshield...I really think I may go for the whole she-bang....I was able to snap some pictures along the way today.

It was quite warm in the store this morning at 7:30..Yeah Warm!! Yeah no Wind!! I greatly appreciate Kathy & Brian and all of the race leaders doing this training to help those of us with "wild dreams".
I listened to the advice and instructions from Beginning Half-Marathon team leaders, Mike, Michael and Chrissy. Even though we were outside I felt pretty pumped and excited about this new upcoming adventure, the Jingle Bell Run, and the new shoes I was going to buy after the run :).


Ronit and I had time goals for the Jingle Bell 5K Run, so we decided to walk from Runners World to the start of the event, where we met up with Ruth and later Meg. Let the mental preparation for the "race" begin...
Before the race started, I decided we needed a "before" picture taken at the finish line...then I realized c'mon girls..let's take a picture like we usually are...Here's the Result:

Then it was time for the 5K....still quite windy. There seemed to be a really good turnout.

Look at the eagerness and excitement to be out running.....It's so great to run with friends!

The hill at Woodward was a little much for me to run...but i didn't let that stop me from reaching my goal of finishing sub 40:00. According to my Garmin I finished in 39:22, clock time was 39:43 (I think). Then it was a walk back to Runners Word and to find some new shoes...Here were the lucky winners:


I can hardly wait to take them out for a run...maybe tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and good times today.....

4 comments:

meg said...

Nice shoes!!! Congrats on the PR!! Love the pics.

T Z said...

Great job on the PR. Now think this through. Your next 5K HAS to be a little flatter, and surely will not be as windy. PLUS, you'll have new shoes!!! I smell another PR in the making!

Cassy Russell said...

Good job on your PR. Looks like you girls were having a lot of fun.

I must confess, it was I who left the training schedule. At quick glance, I thought it was Kathy's vehicle and thought it would be safe there until I returned to RW after the race. Keep it for yourself b/c you never know what your future holds. :o)

BOCA said...

Thanks Cassy....I took it as a sign...ha ha...fate trying to push me toward the right path....guess not so much :). That's what I get for having a Jeep similar to Kathy's :).