Tuesday, December 30, 2008

2008 Wrap Up

Well today has been a day full of emotions. It started with feeling a little solemn about all of the prep work I need to do to be prepared for teaching in the spring. Then I had a really up moment when I heard from my advisor that my first 2 chapters of my dissertation are almost complete. Then, I got a phone call from K-state stating they wanted to bring me there for an interview. I felt excited I made the short list, then nervous about having to tell my parents (who feel I am being disloyal), to anxious about the possibility of moving, to sad that I did indeed betray Tulsa, to committed to staying here and doing the best I can do, to all kinds of other emotions. The group run tonight could not have been timed better. It was so great to see some familiar faces that I haven't seen in a while: Linda, Sue, Tapos, Jana, etc. I made the decision to try to up my mileage tonight to a whole 3.5 miles. I trekked out, the whole way out in my head I weighed the pros and cons of both k-state and TU. It was funny though cuz the wind was blowing pretty good on the way out, and I barely noticed between the blaring music I had in my head mixed with all the crazy thoughts. By the time I hit the 1.75 point, I felt some peace back in my brain. My running has really been improving. I am feeling a bit more confident and am able to mentally prepare myself to complete longer distances, without feeling the need to walk. It is quite an amazing feeling to win the battle over yourself. I thought it was great to celebrate Debbie's first full mile run! Congrats to Carmen as well, who completed her first full mile (as far as I know) Monday out on Riverside! It's important to remember those feats. I can still vividly remember the first time I ran a mile straight...I was so elated and in such a state of shock.

I am really looking forward to Race into the New Year. I have high hopes for myself for 2009. I will document all of my resolutions on the 1st so as to not jinx myself. I think putting things in writing for others to read and ask about makes it more "official" and motivating. For those of you who won't be joining us tomorrow evening...I wish you a safe, happy and healthy New Year!!

2 comments:

Susan Michaels said...

I know you will do what is best for you but if you move you will be missed. I have enjoyed getting to know you more and enjoying your friendship.

Bobby said...

Way to go with your 2008 running accomplishments. I know 2009 will be an even better year of running for you if you just stay consistent. One foot in front of the other. Good luck to you.