Wednesday, December 3, 2008

When you can start the day with "Wall Balls"....

it's a good day? At least that's what trainer Andrew told me today as I whimpered (literally) through them. If you aren't familiar with "wall balls" and you would like to add something new to your workout this is what you do...First find a ball (you will want it cushioned) that weighs between 15-20 pounds. Second find a wall that can handle being "tapped" by a 15-20 pound ball. Then hold the ball just under your neck with both hands on either side as if you were going to pass the ball. Do a full squat...yes full squat butt to the toilet (my personal mantra for getting in a full squat) then as you stand push the ball up so that you through it and it taps the wall. I guess I should have mentioned that you should put your toes somewhere between 6-12 inches from the wall a little more than shoulder width apart and face the wall. Do the squat/throw routine in reps of 15. I laugh at that because i do sets of 5 with an allowance of 5 deep breaths in between cuz i'm a weenie. Then when you finish the Wall Balls put the ball on the ground turn your body to face the opposite direction and do squats...the squat only counts if your butt touches the ball. Do 15 of these. Then run 1/2 mile. Repeat the sequence 3 times. That was my workout this morning..man was it tough! Of course I had to do ab exercises after that, but my legs were thankful for the rest :).

Back to running...Last night's run was decent. I felt pretty good about it overall. I was happy to be out doing something as I was feeling kinda crummy when I arrived. It is always nice to see smiling/laughing/chipper people (even if they are faking it). It was only a 3-miler for me, but I finished in under 40 minutes which is always my goal for 3 miles. I am excited about the upcoming Jingle Bell Run and really hope that I can make it my first 5K in under 40 minutes. I am also pumped for the half marathon/marathon training. I am in a big quandary as to what to train for, the half or the full. I went in to it thinking training for the half, but then I think it's 4 whole months away, possibly I could complete the full. I think I will just start with getting the half marathon schedule and see how it goes during the first several weeks. If anyone has any thoughts, ideas, or opinions about what to train for I am all ears!!!

4 comments:

Cassy Russell said...

Just reading your Wall Ball workout makes my butt muscles hurt!! :o)

Like you say, start training for the 1/2, and if you feel good about it, go for the full. I started out training for the Tulsa Run 15K and ended up doing the half. I still accomplished my goal (15K) that had a surprise ending (the 1/2). You'll do great no matter which one you do!

Bobby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bobby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bobby said...

I hear people say all the time "I only did the quarter marathon" or "I only did the half marathon" as if that was not something to be proud of. Any distance in my book is something to be proud of. 3 miles, 6 miles, 13 miles - they are all long distances. I (and many others) couldn't run a half mile when we started. I suggest not to get too ambitious at first and add miles gradually, something like 10% per week. Get on one of Coach Kathy's schedules and stick to it. Before you know it you will be running further than you ever thought possible. Go for it!!!