Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Buellar? Buellar?

I definitely felt like the teacher in Ferris Buellar's Day Off tonight on the run. I know that when we started at 5:30 there were at least 20 people around me. As I hit the 1/2 mile marker there was Ruth, Marvin, Boomer, and myself. Then at the 1 1/2 mile marker there was Ruth and myself. It was nice and dark so it was hard to tell if there were others among us. It is funny though as we were trotting along in the darkness, I made the comment that it was soothing running in the dark in that the social pressures lessened. I never realized until that moment how self-conscious I feel while running. Something I definitely need to get over.

Well it seems I have mud back on the bottom of my shoes, my pace was back to snail's pace. Of course tonight I think I will blame the darkness and my cautious steps...but I really need to find a way to make myself go a little bit faster. If anyone wants to volunteer to help push me to that consistent 12 minute mile I promise not to whine too much....

It was great to hit the pavement tonight. Another great November evening, don't know how many more mild evenings we'll be fortunate to have. It's off to meet with the personal trainer tomorrow...I am already dreading the push-ups.

7 comments:

T Z said...

Hi Sandra. Keep going with your training, running your runs, run your pace, and don't worry about where you are in relation to others. As it gets darker, we'll make sure to keep an eye on you. I'll be glad to run with ya, and a 13 minute mile with as many walk breaks as ya want is just fine with me.

In these crazy long races I do, a 13 minute mile means a sub 24 hour finish, and that puts you right up with the big boys. It's all relative.

Keep it up. I think you're awesome. Does it sound like I'm trying to be a cheer-leader? I am!

BOCA said...

I'll bring you some pompoms i got at the KU/K-State football game so you can be a cheerleader all out. I'm sure you'd prefer the megaphone that the male cheerleaders lug around, but oh no....I saw your outfit at the tulsa run.....

Bobby said...

tz likes to use a construction cone as a megaphone. I'll bet you could get him to dress up in a cheerleaders outfit.

Keep up the good wok.

I like running in the dark also. It is tranquil.

BOCA said...

Ahh street cone...good idea bobby!!

Susan Michaels said...

I too am self-conscious about how I run but I try to think there is always someone else that looks a little dorkier than I do LOL.
I think you look awesome running and you are doing so good.

T Z said...

Susan....Are you implying that "I" am dorkier than you???

T Z said...

I'll comment to my comment. Yes, I AM dorkier....that almost anybody except maybe Brian.