Sunday, November 23, 2008

Craving to Run

Yup that's right ladies and gentleman, I got home from Chicago yesterday and all I wanted to do first thing this morning was go for a run. I packed my running clothes and took them to Chicago but forgot my running shoes, and didn't think my dress shoes would do the trick. So this morning I put on my gear and headed out to Lafortune, a nice 3 mile loop that would keep me from shortening my desired distance of 3 miles. I really need to follow Ken's behavior and carry a camera with me when I run. About 1/4 mile into the run I crossed paths with Meg...I was so glad to see that she was feeling better and up for a run. Then at about the 2 mile marker, Hayley went flying by in the other direction. Seeing familiar faces along the path kept me putting one foot in front of the other. It was a slow run for me today. My brain was pumped for it in the beginning, my body not so much. At the 2 mile marker my body was pumped for the run, but my brain was checking. Time to get the body and brain back on the same page.

I thought I would post a couple of my fun and funny pictures from the convention in Chicago.

This is a photo of my colleagues from U. of Kansas (Julie & Sandy). We went to a restaurant called McCormicks Seafood. Seeing as how I am allergic to seafood I can tell you the apple salad was quite yummy.


This was one of our silly moments in the hoisery section of Macy's on State Street. We decided to play as if we were teenagers who killed time by taking photos of themselves.



These are my former graduate students and doctoral mentor and myself just before our presentation at the conference. Everyone did a phenomenal job representing the Univeristy of Kansas and ACTS project.


This truly was a highlight for me. Julie Andrews received the Annie Glenn award. In 1997, she underwent vocal cord surgery and had major scarring that prohibits her from singing. In person her voice disorder is quite obvious. Still, she is an amazing speaker. So poised and articulate. It was great to see her.

I look forward to seeing everyone Tuesday. Although, I will be signing up for the April 1/2 marathon training Monday evening. I was hoping to run the Lawrence (KS) half, but they have cancelled it due to the economy. They were unable to get enough sponsorship. So looks like I will be heading to OKC!!!

5 comments:

Bobby said...

OKC is a great half. I ran it last year. I enjoyed running past the state Capitol.

A craving for running is a great craving to have.

Cassy Russell said...

Thanks for letting us know about the cancellation of KS's run. I thought about doing it once I read about it on your blog. My hubby is a KU grad, so he loves the KC/Lawrence area. He was going with me on that road trip. Never mind.

Glad to read too you were craving a run. I love that feeling!

marta said...

OOOOOH MY!!!
you mean you saw Julie Andrews in person???
Please tell us more about the ceremony...pretty please!!!

thank you!

meg said...

Sandra, you should be proud of yourself. Lafortune is a hard run!! At least I think so because of the uneven terrain, hills, and the lack of water fountains and restrooms! Hayley, on the other hand, LOVES it. She has to drag my buns out there, but once I hit my groove, it's not so bad. We'll have to exchange numbers so that next time you need a running buddy out there, we'll try to meet up with you:-)

BOCA said...

I had that same thought Meg about swapping numbers. It is a tough run. I haven't been out there in years.